Monday, January 17, 2011

Clubs, Classes and the Chinese

Now people might think I'm kidding, but I was very serious when I said I was going "clubbin." The names of the clubs here give you fair warning that you're basically walking into a scummy place, but they are fun nonetheless. One particularly popular one in town is called "Mercy" with a woman swinging on a pole as part of the sign.. I have yet to have the pleasure of going there but I'm definitely looking forward to it. The only one I've been to as of yet is on the UEA campus and it is called the LCR. It is crowded and hot but the place to be. When a particularly ragin' song comes on instead of grinding the students here "mosh" which is just jumping up and down and side to side into each other. It looks dangerous, and it is. Personal space is not valued.

I had my first class today! Creative Writing. I'm with all third years which was a little intimidating because they are all planning their first novels or consider themselves "artists." One guy in my class has actually published some of his short fiction. I, on the other hand, certainly do not consider myself an accomplished writer and do not forsee any movies being made of my fabulous stories so I feel a little over my head. Nevertheless, my professor was very nice as were the students in my class so I'm looking forward to the course. She also didn't know I was an American at first! So my Chicaaaaago accent must not be too harsh.

Not everyone may know this, but freshman year I took the chance of getting a random roommate. I had visions of meeting my best friend and partner in crime. Alas, that did not happen and I was placed with a girl directly from Korea. She was very nice, but not the companion I was hoping for. It seems as though I go where the Asians go, or possibly vis versa, because the first flatmate I met was a foreign exchange student from China. Apparently UEA has the most Chinese foreign exchange students in the whole UK! Lucky me...? She seemed very nice and I actually have another Chinese flatmate who the other flatmates just call "Chinese guy" because they still don't know his name (he was there all last semester...). The rest of my flatmates are all Brits and very nice.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment