Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All the Small Things

Here are a series of things I have learned/noticed in Norwich thus far:


Part of UEA's pretty, sunny campus! Those weird looking buildings are dorms, they were made in the 60s and considered historical so they can't be changed at all. They add some character, no?

The markets in downtown Norwich... they have literally anything and everything you could think of. Lots of clothes, shoes, accessories, etc. As well as all types of food stands, dead fish, alive fish, cheese and the works. We got lunch there for only one pound! The only cheap thing in England. 


My chinese flatmate gave me an early Chinese New Years gift today. He doesn't really speak much English so I'm not entirely sure what the meaning behind the gifts are. I did manage to (I think) understand that the little charm on the left is "popular" in Shanghai so if I make it there at least I'll fit in. This made me forgive him a little bit for watching cartoons and laughing so loudly I can hear him through the wall... at 3 in the morning.

Instead of people saying "how are you?" when they see each other they you "You aright?" If you respond "Good, how are you?" out of habit, they'll look at you funny.

Aluminum is pronounced Al (like in Aladdin) - oo (like oohlala) - min - e - um. And commercials are called "adverts" and "chav" is white trash. This taught me that it is slightly accurate when red necks say "Speak American!" because it truly is different.

Table football is considered a sport and has a club team.

Dogs are more sophisticated and don't need leashes. They don't even run after you if you run by them!


Norwich still has the old Roman wall that went around the city - Erica, Myself and Liz are just helping it stand for a little longer!


Little hot pocket sandwich things are called "pasties" and are especially delicious with "chips." Liz, Colin and I enjoying an English meal! And Colin looking quite posh drinking his tea.

That's all I can think of for now! 

Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment